Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 8: Unsolicited advice

Day 8 of Blog Every Day in May Challenge is a piece of advice for others. Anything at all.

One of the most common areas that I get asked for advice about is photography.  I get asked what camera would be a great first DSLR, what lens I prefer, and what photog gadgets I am in to.  The best piece of photography-related advice for all of you is to back up your photos!  Whether you back them up on an online gallery or back them up on CDs or external hard drives, just back them up!  Also, make it a habit.  Put a reminder on your calendar or phone for the 1st of every month to back them up.  I back up my photos on Shutterfly every week and back them up on CDs after every photo shoot or at the end of every month.  It really does not take that much time but it is time well spent.  No amount of crying or praying will bring back your 1000s of photos if your hard drive crashes.  I learned my lesson the hard way a few years ago when my Mac hard drive crashed.  The first thing that the "Genius" at the Apple Genius Bar asked me was, "Did you back everything up?" I avoided eye contact and embarrassingly had to tell him no.  Thankfully, I was able to recover some photos from my phone and ipod at the time but I learned my lesson.


1 comment: