Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 20: Struggle

Day 20 of the Blog Every Day in May Challenge: Get real. Share something you're struggling with right now. 

Ever wonder if Mommy Guilt is a real thing?  Just keep reading.  Like every new mom, I've got my fair share of struggles.  How long should I continue breastfeeding?  I've made it this far - can I make it to the 1 year mark?  Does Eloise miss me when she is at daycare?  Am I doing enough to help her with her development?  Am I feeding her the right food?  Is she teething?  Is it just a cold or something worse?  Will she sleep past 5am?  Can I really do it all by being a working mom?  On my best days, I know I've got this Mom thing down.  But on my worst days, these are just a few of the questions that go thru my mind.  

Along with being a new mom, I'm a new boss.  I got promoted a work to Supervisor & Program Manager when I was 7.5 months pregnant.   Have you heard phrase, "Like a Boss?" I often think of that phrase when I'm trying to navigate the challenges of being a boss.  It was hard to go from being a frontline social worker to the boss.   It's funny how the number of people that you can call your work friends quickly dwindles once you have the title of boss.  My social network at work has now become my fellow supervisors.  As I come up on my 1 year anniversary of my promotion, I've been reflecting on how hard my job can be at times.  It's hard to give all my employees the same amount of attention.  Do I play favorites?  It's hard to get a group of staff to see my value as a program manager and supervisor when my predecessor was so adored.  Am I making an impact?  Do they respect me?  It's hard to make changes when everyone is comfortable.  Do my staff support my vision?  At the end of the day, I know that I'm doing a good job...great job.  

No comments:

Post a Comment