Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 10: "That was awkward"


Day 10 of the Blog Every Day in May Challenge: Most embarrassing moment. Spill.

Trust me, I’ve had my fair share of embarrassing moments in my life that I can easily remember.  For this post, I decided to share a moment that will definitely bring a smile to two of my friends faces, Jodi & Anita, as they were there. 

Let me set the stage.  I was in Graduate school getting my MSW.  At the time, the school of social work was housed in a big old house, literally.  Most days, myself along with my friends and classmates would congregate in a small sitting area near the kitchen & mail room to have our lunch.  As many people know, the field of social work is dominated by women so the few men that join the ranks of social workers become easy targets for gossip or even school-girl crushes, at best.  Confession: I had a crush on one of my male professors  (along with some of my colleagues).  He was a "hot nerd" - curly/messy hair, glasses, super smart, excited by all things social work & research, rode his bike to class, and sometimes left his pants leg rolled up from biking throughout the whole class.

One day while enjoying lunch with friends & coworkers, we were talking about some of our professors.  Being the outspoken woman that I am, I was running my mouth about the crush I had on this professor.  I can’t remember all that I said but I’m pretty sure it was entertaining to my friends and hilariously inappropriate.  Just as I’m finishing my public expression of adoration for this professor, he walks thru the common room, looks at me and says, “That was awkward.”  Yes, he heard the whole thing.  Cue red face.  To make matters worse, we all had class with him that afternoon…for 3 hours.  One of the things that I thought was so cute about this professor was how socially awkward and sweet he could be.  Because of this, he acted like it never happened and didn’t treat me any differently.  My friends, on the other hand, NEVER let me live this down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment