Sunday, December 11, 2011

DIY Holiday Greetings

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is getting Christmas cards in the mail.  I come home  from work every day in December and run straight for the pile of mail.  I especially love the displaying all the photo cards.  The last few years my card holder has left me wanting something more.  I turned to Pinterest and Etsy for some inspiration because I was convinced that I could make something better than what I bought a few years ago.  After a brief search, I came up with the idea to attach some Christmas-themed ribbon to a doll rod and jazz it up a little. 

Supplies:
  • Doll Rod
  • 4 rolls of ribbon with different patterns - about 1.5 inch thick
  • 1 roll 1/4 inch white ribbon
  • 1 roll 1/2 inch red ribbon - cut the length of the doll rod
  • Embellishments of your choice 
    • I used some fun white pom pom trim!
  • Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
  • Paper clips to hold photos in place
Instructions:
  1. Cut 8 strips of the 1.5 inch ribbon (2 of each pattern)
  2. Evenly space out the strips on the doll rod before glueing
  3. Put some glue on the top of the doll rod and place the ribbon over the doll rod.  Leave some extra ribbon on the top so that you wrap the ribbon around the rod and glue to the backside of the ribbon.
  4. Continue with the other strips of ribbon.
  5. Take the strip of red ribbon and glue it on tip of the doll rod.  This will cover your space markings and all the other ribbon tops.  
  6. Add your embellishments
  7. Measure out the thin white ribbon to a length that you will give enough room to hang the card holder.
  8. Tie the ribbon on each end the doll rod.  Double knot for good measure!
  9. Take a small strip of one of your patterned ribbons and tie to the white ribbon.  I tied mine in a bow.  
  10. Hang up it on the wall from a small hook or picture hanger. 
  11. Use paper clips to the hang the photos.  Make sure you disperse the cards evenly so that it hangs straight!



I absolutely love getting all the photo cards from families that I have done photo shoots for this year.  My entry way is like my own personal gallery!  

Here is the Christmas card that I made for me & Brad this year.  
Click to view my project


No comments:

Post a Comment