Monday, January 30, 2012

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

I get teased by my book club members that I remember all the characters and plots of all our books.  Just so I never forget, I thought I would write a mini review of our picks going forward.  Our book club just finished a fun book last week, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.  This book was actually recommended to me by my Aunt Patti and I had been itching to read it.  I was thrilled when it ended up being the pick for this month.  In a weird way, I summarized this book as a mash up between White Oleander and The Help - 2 books that I really loved.  Saving CeeCee has the same unbelievable moments of a mentally ill mother just like White Oleander does but in a much more heartbreaking way.  CeeCee loses her mother to her mental illness and is forced to relocate from Ohio to Savannah.  Here is where the the mash up where The Help comes in.  The 1960s southern hospitality that CeeCee is thrown in to made me jealous.  Every time the author would describe various foods she was eating, I seriously got hungry.  CeeCee is able to make friends with some great southern women that it reminded me of the memorable characters in The Help.  If you are looking for a fun read with a happy ending, this is a book for you.  At the end of the book, I was left wanting a little more drama and plot development, but all in all I was still glad I read it.  


Saving CeeCee Honeycutt: A Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment